Taking Donors Seriously® is about principles that have stood the test of time - it's not about tactics or what's hot today. We'll help you get organized, develop a plan, and then spend the majority of your fundraising time and effort on the things that get you the best results. Then you can get all the funding you need to maximize your impact, and do it in a sustainable way.
Imagine being able to:
- Achieve your fundraising goal earlier in the year
- Have the resources you need to make a bigger impact
- Be more relational and less event-driven with your fundraising>
- Eliminate "donor fatigue" and stop wearing out volunteers
- Spend less time on fundraising and more on your bigger mission
- Spend more time thanking than asking
- Not feel like you're fundraising all by yourself
- Have donors who feel like partners instead of ATM machines
- An overview on giving
- Six key principles in fundraising
- Developing a case statement and messaging
- Building a volunteer advancement/development team
- Identifying, prioritizing, and managing your prospects
- Strategy and methods for planning fundraising
- Creating and executing your fundraising plan
- The Asking process: How to engage prospects and invite them to give
- Gain time-tested principles and practical applications for cultivating major donors over a lifetime
- Complete a working Case Statement to present to donors
- Identify and engage a volunteer fundraising team
- Create a vetted and prioritized list of prospective donors
- Develop a strategy for getting in front of the right individuals in order to reach a funding goal
- Write a comprehensive year-long fundraising plan
- Introduction to Case for Support
- The Case for Support
- The Case: Theme and Need
- Assignment - Theme and Need
- The Case: Mission and Lifetime Value
- The Case: Programs and Accomplishments
- Assignment - Mission, Lifetime Value, Program and Accomplishments
- The Case: Vision and Financial Need
- The Case: Gift Plan and Profile of Leadership
- Assignment - Vision, Budget, Gift Plan and Profile of Leadership
- How to Use the Case for Support
- Assignment - Presenting the Case for Support
- Ten Elements of a Case for Support
- Gift Plan Calculator/Template
- Sample Case Statements
CEO, The FOCUS Group
About the instructor
The FOCUS Group is a consultancy that helps nonprofits more effectively raise the funds that are critical to their missions.
Brad Layland, CEO, has over 25 years of fundraising and consulting experience to draw from as he partners with organizations to fulfill their mission through effective fundraising strategies. Brad’s distinguished career began at Young Life, where he served in various roles including Area Director, Field Development Director, Gift Planning Associate, and ultimately Chief Development Officer. He moved into his role as owner and CEO of The FOCUS Group in 2012, after several years as a Senior Consultant.
Brad’s expertise providing high level fundraising counsel to nonprofit organizations incorporates major donor strategies, training workshops, planned gift marketing, and capital campaign counsel. In 2013, he launched the Taking Donors Seriously® online training program, which equips individuals and organizations to be more effective in raising financial support.
Brad serves on the Board of Directors for numerous organizations including, Veritas Classical Christian school, Young Life St. Augustine, Christian Surfers US, Somebody Cares St. Augustine, and Young Life of Greater New York. He also serves as an elder at Good News Presbyterian church. In addition to running The FOCUS Group, Brad owns the largest real estate brokerage in St. Augustine, Endless Summer Realty.
Brad received his B.A. in Communications from the University of Florida and his M.A. in Theology from Fuller Seminary. He and his wife, singer-songwriter Wendy Curl, love living in St. Augustine, Florida and have 4 children: Max, Dakota, Jack and Sydney. Brad enjoys running marathons, investing in real estate, being an entrepreneur, and traveling with his family.